Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thai Shrimpy Noodles

Mmmm.  This simple noodle dish was our tasty dinner two nights ago.  I wrote this post earlier today and am just now getting around to publishing.  I have to say, though, tonight's dinner was even better.  Outstanding, even.  Maybe I just think so because I'm from the (further) South and grits hit the spot like nothing else... Either way, it was stand-over-the-stove-eating-the-leftovers-you're-supposed-to-be-putting-away Good.  So, keep watch for my Sharp Cheddar Grits w/ Caramelized Onions and Kale. You won't be sorry.

Meanwhile: Thai Shrimpy Noodles!


I totally stepped outside my culinary comfort zone, here:

Raw, peeled shrimp.

Peeled the little, slimy legs and shells right off those slippery suckers.  I can't condone eating anything you wouldn't be willing to handle and prepare yourself, and since I'm finally coming around on shrimp (something I didn't grow up eating much of, unless it was fried and from a restaurant), it was high time I quelled my queasiness re: the Cockroach of the Sea.

Quell, I did:
Sauteed shrimp, carrots, onion and fennel.

This is another that's not a hard and fast recipe.  When I print this blog out in a few years, to make our family cookbook, it will probably be called, This is not a Cookbook.  Use what you've got in your fridge and what's in season (tomatoes!) to tweak it to your liking.  Fennel makes another appearance here.  I know fennel is not ginger, but I wanted fresh ginger and we didn't have any.  We had fennel.  It provides a nice, unexpected bit of fresh tasting "bite," like ginger would.  This was great as lunch the next day.


Add capellini pasta and tomatoes.

Here's the (not a) Recipe:

Shrimp Saute
1lb. fresh, uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 c. fennel, sliced thin
1/2 c. - 1c. diced onion
1 c. shredded carrot
whatever other vegetables you like
1-2 Tbsp. vegetable or grape seed oil
8oz. capellini/Angel hair pasta
chopped cilantro
fresh tomatoes

Get your pasta cooking.  Start the saute in a wok with the fennel -- saute on high for 1-2 minutes, just until it starts to brown. Add diced shrimp and cook for one minute.  Add more oil if it sticks to your pan.  Add other vegetables and saute for one last minute.  Don't overcook the shrimp!  Toss it all together with Josh's peanut sauce and garnish with chopped cilantro and fresh tomatoes.

Josh's Peanut Sauce
3 Tbsp. smooth peanut butter
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. water
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. agave nectar (or honey)
chopped spring garlic greens (or green onions)

No comments:

Post a Comment