Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cafe Agave


Easy treat.  Makes two 6 oz. servings, or one respectable Cup of Joe.  This is just the thing when you're craving a special coffee, but it's not within your budget or your schedule to go out.  I made this on Monday; it was raining, the baby was sleeping, Ingrid was in school and Malcolm was entertaining himself.  Perfect time to sip and knit.

I prefer a good, full-city roast, Latin American coffee in general, but especially for this.  I suppose you could use anything, except maybe a French roast.  

Grind 6 heaping Tbsp coffee beans VERY COURSE.  In my grinder, 3 quick pulses did it.  You should still have a few half bean pieces in there.  Bring 2 cups water and 1/8 c. agave nectar to a low boil, add ground coffee, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.  Reduce heat to medium low, and rapid simmer for 4-5 minutes.


Simmer.
Strain, and let sit for a minute or so, to let the sweetened coffee continue dripping through.

Filter.
Pour slowly over 1/8 c. half & half.  Top with whipped cream (which I keep on hand during the summer for topping berries) and a dusting of cinnamon.

This would adapt well to make camp coffee, too!  Ooh... wish I was waking up outside, in the chilly, damp and foggy mountains.  This would get you up and ready to hike for sure!

Tomorrow, I'll share my favorite iced caffeinated treat to make at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment