Monday, June 27, 2011

Dinner on the farm

I am busy soaking up Vermont. Actually, I'm not busy at all! We are on vacation, sitting on the porch of a little farm house at the top of a hill. There are trails and hills and trees. Pigs, sheep and cows. Fireflies and stars. A high of 80 and a low of 57...

The kids are running all over the place (staying away from the electric fences -- don't worry Mom!), and enjoying an enormous amount of freedom. Not missing their movies or tv. I am enjoying saying yes to most of the things they want to do!

It has been 3 years since we lived here. Returning, having mostly adjusted to living in a busy metropolitan area, I realize now why that first year away was so hard for me. I love it here. I love watching the kids out in uncrowded nature. It may not be in the cards for us to set down roots in this beautiful, rural state, but -By Golly- I'm gonna do my best to find a good excuse to visit each year.

There is something about this simple existence that inspires simple, healthy, no-frills food, too. Tonight, Josh cooked up beet greens and sweet potatoes with caramelized onion and pan-fried salmon. Minimal prep and presentation: salt, butter; maybe a little orange in the sweet potatoes? It was delicious. Josh used to cook all the time. Besides being free to do absolutely nothing, having him available to cook for us may be my favorite part of vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment