Sunday, June 5, 2011

Let's cast it ON!


I am not so handy with the double-pointed needles. But I'm glad for the practice offered by this project.  One day I will knit a sock.  With any luck, TWO.  And I get a little better each time I use them.  For instance, up until now, I have always cast all of my stitches onto one needle, then divided them evenly among the other three or four double-points.  Granted, this seemed harder than it should be, and the stitches also seemed to get tighter, being fussed with and moved around to another needle, but I just never looked for another way.  Until today --and I am not a novice (but, then, maybe I am) -- when it finally occurred to me to cast on, dividing as I go.  AHA!  20 stitches to the first needle; then, holding the second needle right alongside the first, and continuing to cast onto it: 20 more stitches; the final 20 to the third needle in the same fashion...  It was a real AHA moment.  Those are awesome, right?  Except when you end up feeling like a moron.  Like, Why Didn't I Think of This Sooner?!  really.  You learn something new everyday.

Now, whether you cast on and divide or cast on all fancy like me, don't forget not to twist the stitches when you join to knit in the round.  Click that link there, and choose "Preventing a Gap" to see how I join to knit in the round.  Though, now I'm sure there are many other ways to do things more efficiently than I'm doing them now...

No comments:

Post a Comment