Sunday, June 12, 2011

Taco night

I am well on my way to not throwing away any vegetables this week.  And, though I haven't stuck exclusively to my new Trader Joe's cookbook, I am definitely keeping it simple, and enjoying healthy, more relaxed dinnertimes.

Easy-peasy, as my daughter would say.
I am a big fan of flatbread: I love when a flavorful, satisfying meal can just be rolled up and eaten sans utensils.  Easy to prep, easy to accommodate different kids' differing tastes, and hard to screw up, tacos are perfect for using up odds & ends in the fridge, too.  Here is Saturday night's "recipe:"

Saute white onion, thinly sliced fennel bulb, halved cherry tomatoes and Morning Star Farms veggie chicken fajita strips with 1/8-1/4 tsp each: oregano, black pepper, cumin and just a little chipotle chile powder.  Then, serve it up with shredded zucchini mixed with a Tbsp or so chopped cilantro (add in cabbage, carrots, beets, whatever wants in on the fun), and wrap it all up in a warm, oven-grilled corn tortilla.  You know, just toss them in the warm skillet with a touch of oil, for less than a minute on each side.

The grown-up setting.

P.S. If you like DRY white wine, this is one for you to try. So dry, you'd think it's not-so-distant cousin is a gin and tonic. Very refreshing, though, and palate-cleansing.  (Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? Disclaimer: I really don't.  But, I am beginning to learn that it is okay to say what you think of a wine. It's okay to share impressions with people who know loads more about wine than you do, even if you're afraid you'll use one of the terms wrong, and giggle when they describe "mouthfeel").

...
P.P.S. Use leftover meat, tortillas, onions and tomatoes with scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos on Sunday morning.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me hungry! I've been craving tacos and burritos lately, ever since I went to Moe's Southwestern Grill a few weeks ago. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa! They were pretty good :-)

    ReplyDelete