Thursday, July 7, 2011

Vacation Catch-up

Whew. We're home. Did you know you can drive to central Vermont from Washington, DC in just 12 hours, door-to-door?  That includes stops for three kids and two dogs.  I couldn't believe it.  And I'm also incredibly relieved to know we're so close.  I. love. it. there.  And I can guarantee it will not be three years between visits again!  One more thing I can guarantee?  A farm vacation in VT will not disappoint.  Especially if you keep it simple.  We had such a slow, lazy, unplugged, disconnected, undirected, WONderful time.  Wonderful.

So, this post is just a photo dump to play a little catch-up.  Second String Sommelier will be making an appearance later this week with a very fine bottle of monastrell.  As will at least one of my still-vacationing husband's tasty recipes, but for now:

Let's go...

see the cows.


Side and back of the farmhouse. I pretty much lived on the front porch rocking chair. Finished two books in less than two weeks!
Exploring around the barn.
Taking it all in.

Breathe. Ahhhh. There, now. That's better.

We fed these guys all our scraps. Melon rinds were their favorites.


The trail went up through those trees.
At the hilltop. The AT was less than 500 ft. away, as well as several other trails.
Tireless hiker.

Roasted cherry tomatoes and zucchini stuffed with creamed chard.


It was good.  I need to develop the recipe some before I share, though. The chard/cream cheese mixture baked up just a little dry.


The fact that this vacation was still MONUMENTALLY relaxing, even with three kids and two dogs, speaks volumes about a farm vacation. I just can't recommend it enough.


Three Bean Cafe. One of my favorite places to visit when we lived nearby. The owner  remembered Ingrid and me... maybe I spent a little too much time there ;-).

3 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! See you Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a great time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was amazing. I left wondering if it is too soon to retire ;-)

    ReplyDelete