Friday, July 22, 2011

Complexities

I read this today.  A short story that I found both mundane and haunting at the same time.  Simple and plain and... complex.  Truly amazing craft.  I discovered it in my old book of O. Henry Prize-winning short fiction from 2002.  Something I bought after I graduated college, probably with thoughts that I could, like, write a book or something, and avoid getting a real job...  I've always written short stories.  I've written loads of beginnings of stories.  Kind of had this vague idea that I wanted to finish a book before I turned 30.  FAIL!  But lately, I have at least been coming back to a few of those beginnings and fleshing them out a bit.  Then today, I read this, and I am reminded of how far my writing skills have left to grow before I am ready to submit to anyone for review (much less to a reputable publication).  I am inspired and I am discouraged, just a little.

2 comments:

  1. Great descriptive skills...for another try "Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West" by Cormac McCarthy. You could write...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good example, especially for dialogue, is "Friends of Eddie Coyle" by george Higgins...I believe it's on your bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete