Thursday, September 22, 2011

Teething and Tex-Mex

Finding time to write has all of a sudden (okay, 2.5 weeks ago, to be exact) become a real challenge. Toward the end of summer, we'd finally fallen into a flexible routine that allowed me to cook blog-worthy mealls 4-5 times a week AND sit down to write on some short stories. A couple of months ago, I set a goal to polish at least one of them off and enter it in a contest. Now... I don't know if I can have it ready in time.

So, what have I been up to these past few weeks, besides posting once or twice? School started. And if you'll recall, I predicted this excuse back in August. Now, just like last year, I'm truly shocked by how busy the activities and social calendars of a 4 and 6 year old can keep us. Homework, violin, soccer, play dates, birthday parties. Add to that a furiously independent 16 month old with swollen, aching gums and s-l-o-w-l-y emerging incisors... a 15 month old well check-up (3 shots), 4 year old check-up (4 shots) and flu-shots all around. Oh and a silly, infected splinter in my foot that sent me to the emergency room this past Sunday night for antibiotics. My blood pressure was (understandably, I'd like to think) elevated enough at the ER to elicit a lecture from the nurse. Now all week I've been looking for just 20 minutes to donate to the treadmill. Why doesn't hauling a 25 pound baby around all day count as exercise?

Who, me?

This morning, I would have loved to relax and align some chakras with my favorite Yoga Zone video, but faced with a 25 lb lovely who is completely uninterested in morning naps (*sniff*), I opted for a therapy of the retail variety. Bea and I spent an hour or so wandering the book store before we picked Mal up from preschool. I realize the library would have been much more budget-friendly, but I talked myself into a trip to the store, saying we needed to find our new neighbor friend a birthday present before his party on Saturday. We found one. I also came home with an entire cookbook for quinoa (which is great, considering I bought a ginormous bag of it at Costco the other day):

Find it on Amazon.

And a Tex-Mex cookbook I absolutely cannot wait to try:

Find it on Amazon.

I'll let you know how they turn out. And I'll share some adaptations. Meanwhile, I promise to post more than once this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment